Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a jail not let you have your prescription medication…

Customer Question
Can a jail not...

Can a jail not let you have your prescription medication even if your doctors say it could kill you

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes the jail said THAY won't give me my meds.all my doctors wrote that if THAY don't it will probably kill me .and the jail or courts don't care

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/22/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

No, the jail is not allowed to deprive an inmate of necessary medication.

There is however internal protocol that must be followed, before the medication can be supplied to the individual.

First, the jail physician must contact the individual's usual doctor and have the prescription confirmed.

Once that is done (which should not take a long time at all), then the medication can be given to this individual.

If that's not being done, then this person's attorney needs to address it with the court right away.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!