Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was with a mutual friend. they stole from the store we…

Customer Question
I was with a...

I was with a mutual friend. they stole from the store we were in without my knowledge, however we rode in the same car. They have my license plate and came to my home trying to speak with me about a petty theft. What do i do?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 8 months ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. You have no legal obligation to speak with them about this. It would be at your own discretion. If they contacted you they had video of the alleged theft and the person who stole, so they likely want you to provide them with information as to who this was, so they can arrest you or they may try and implicate you as well, if they have evidence to reason to believe you were involved and knew.

even if i had no idea they were going to steal i could be arrested? the car is in my grandfathers name, can he get in trouble ?
if they find my name could they come to the city where i live and arrest me? im so scared, i have a child and i've never been in trouble. im no thief

No, he can not. If you had no idea nor were around or knew of this, they would not have a basis to charge you. If they know who you are, they could try and speak with you or arrest you, if they think you were involved. They may believe you knew about this and had your friend do it and agreed to drive them there and get away as well.

it's best if i don't even contact them and forget about the situation?

Unless you are going to cooperate and provide them information on your friend, it may not be best to speak with them. If you are charged with anything, it would be at that time you want to retain a criminal defense attorney to represent you

CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty