Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My husband was charged in Tennessee with statutory rape he…

My husband was charged...

My husband was charged in Tennessee with statutory rape he is 37 and a father me his wife has a brain injury and we need him he got bonded out of jail and we took a trip to Nebraska and he was arrested for failure to appear and hasn't been convicted of the chat he yet and he is sitting in jail in Nebraska tell Tennessee comes and gets him. He didn't do this to this girl if he was always with me taking care of me how dose this sound to you pleased let me know

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No but all they have as proof is text messages and the girl has herpes and don't know who see got it from can they still charge him with it if he don't have herpes and no records of text messages

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need him and so do our kids I have limited money

9/21/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

They may be able to charge him, but if he does not have herpes and they have no DNA and no witnesses to them having sex, they cannot convict him.

Unfortunately, he did something he was not supposed to do, whether he was guilty or not, he should not have left the state and he should not have failed to appear and for those two things that is why he is being punished by being held. He will be held until TN goes and gets him from NE and there is nothing you can do about that now. He should not have left the state and he should have appeared in court as ordered.

You must get him an attorney in TN in the county where he is being charged and if you cannot afford one, you need to contact the public defender's office there, because he is entitled to one to represent him for no charge.

Also, in Nebraska, he is entitled to a public defender and they can seek a hearing in court for him to waive his rights to fight extradition and agree to voluntarily return to TN and that can speed up the process of his return to TN.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.