Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If I attend a marijuana convention in California and mail…

If I attend a marijuana...
If I attend a marijuana convention in California and mail some medicated edible products and marijuana totaling 10 grams of total combined marijuana weight back home to VIRGINIA.What Federal law would be broken?
Whats the jail penalty?
Whats the likelihood of BEING INDICTED for it if busted for doing this for such a small weight?
9/21/2017
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Section 812 of Title 21 of the U.S. Code, the Schedule of Controlled Substances makes no distinction between a legal state, a medical state, or an illegal state. Violating this section is a federal crime and could earn you a drug trafficking charge, even for the lowest tier of cannabis.
For the possession of:

• 1 kilogram or less of hash oil
  • 10 kilograms or less of hashish
  • 1 to 49 cannabis plants
  • Less than 50 kilograms of cannabis flower

The penalties are:
1st offense: up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000 to $1 million
2nd offense: up to 10 years in federal prison and a fine of $500,000 to $2 million

Basically, it doesn’t matter if it’s a gram or 50 kilograms–the penalty remains the same.

As far as likelihood of indictment, I would say small, because of the small amount of marijuana. It's possible, yes, but if you were to get caught, they would probably just seize the marijuana. Even if there was an arrest, you almost certainly would not see any actual prison time. That's for serious traffickers and dealers.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer