Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I live in a very rural part of Kansas. My husband and I were…

Customer Question
I live in a very...
I live in a very rural part of Kansas. My husband and I were arguing and he was verbally abusive to me. He was yelling and swearing at me that I was f***ing useless and couldn't do anything. There is a long history of emotional abuse by him. There was also an occasion where he put an unloaded gun to my head and pulled the trigger. I have been slapped, forced to the ground, financially isolated (he controlled every cent), emotionally abused, and verbally abused. I was also raped by him. I married at 23. We have 3 children together. He was law enforcement also. He would make comments that it didn't matter what he did to me no one would do anything. He said he could hurt me and never leave a mark. This weekend though was the first time I've truly been afraid of him though. He was calling me every name and swearing at me. Our 14 year old daughter was in another part of the house. He was going out the bedroom door and cussing and swearing at me very loudly. I grabbed his shirt to ask him to stop. He threw me down on the bed and choked me. I was trying to hit him or knee him to get him to stop. He finally did and I got up. I'm disabled and 5'5" he's 6'2". He came back at me with hands clenched and mad. I was scared so I slapped him. Open hand. I went to ER scared with anxiety attack. There I guess I goofed up by admitting my husband hurt me. The officer that responded is his friend. I had marks on my neck he had nothing. I'm being charged with domestic battery.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: James Daloisio, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. I am sorry to hear of your problems. You are in an abusive relationship, and you need local support. The best advice I can give you here will address (1) your battery charges, and (2) your relationship in general.

As to your battery charge, you need a lawyer. You will need to document your injuries and should obtain your ER records. If your 14 year old daughter heard any of the statements, she can corroborate you. However it may very well be that you may not be prosecuted because it appears to be a one on one situation and you are the only one with any injuries.

Regarding your relationship in general, you need local support. I do not know what part of Kansas you are in but you need to call these agencies for starters:

1-***-***-****, Kansas Crisis Hotline;

1-***-***-****, Kansas Attorney General's Victim Services hotline;

Here is a link to crisis centers by georgraphical location: http://www.kcsdv.org/find-help/in-kansas/dv-sa-services.html

Just pick up the phone and call now. You've already waited too long.

Also: bear in mind that when a married couple is arguing and calling each other names, this is not going to generate any anger or sympathy on the part of law enforcement or the courts. You must distinguish between hyperbole and actual threats.

As I said...don't wait. You have to take control now. Thank you