Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was incarcerated on the 5th of this month, I was given…

Customer Question
I was incarcerated on the...
I was incarcerated on the 5th of this month , I was given bail but was not alowed to use the phone for aproxamatly 9 days , I was not given food or water when I was finally realeased I went to the hospital and was told I was extremely dehidrated and had double pneumonia ! I was admired to the hospital and began to have kidney failure , after 5 days I was stabilized and realeased . Is there any legal options I have to hold the SO accountable ?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/20/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, inmates have the right to be free of “cruel and unusual punishment: What are the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution. If they did not give you any food or water over that time and you had no access to it, then it is likely that they may have violated that constitutional requirement. In addition, you may have an cause of action for negligence.Negligence simply means that there was a duty that the other party owed and they breached that duty in some way. What is most important is that it is proven that the defendant breached their duty of care because that is what mostly determines whether there is a cause of action. Basically, the question is, “Did the defendant’s actions fall below the standard of care for a reasonable person in a similar situation?” Better stated, “Would a similar Sheriff's Department have acted in a similar way under similar circumstances?” If the answer to that question is yes, then there is negligence and you are entitled to damages. Damages can be difficult to calculate, but if you click here you can use a calculator help you understand.

.Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.