Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Is it illegal just by itself to pretend to be a minor with

adults for the purpose of...
Is it illegal just by itself to pretend to be a minor with adults for the purpose of catching predators. No exchange of pornography was made. Only sexually suggestive comments and lies of age.
9/20/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Are you referring to the case of a police investigation?

No, this is not illegal. In fact, it is a tactic commonly utilized by officers to catch child predators, especially in the last decade or so with the growing rates of social media, internet chat rooms, etc.

If you're referring to an incident that does not involve the police, but only private citizens, impersonation only becomes illegal when impersonating a real person, not a fictitious one, but this becomes a bit of a trickier situation.

If you suspect that there is foul play, you should instead look in to filing a report with local police so that they can investigate and takes the steps necessary to execute an arrest.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.

So just pretending to be Jane done who is sixteen while talking to older guys in a chat room isn't illegal? The person behind Jane d** is an adult male. My apologies if you already answered this. I'm just clarifying.

That's correct.

Is it illegal if a person uses a random image off a public site (i.e. Google images) to assume that identity
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer