Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a friend trying to reunite with her father but he is…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend trying to reunite with her father but he is in Texas and in Wisconsin when we looked up court records it stated 12/07/1992 Body only failure to serve sentence for battery. Is there anyway he can come back to WI without going to jail? I looked up warrants and typed in his name nothing comes up? Can he still be prosecuted for a minor battery charge? guess it was a bar fight or something on that line

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

It's in Wisconsin and looks like 12/07/1992

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No not yet. He thinks that he can't move back here because of this really old charge? He works full time in Texas now but would like to move back to Wisconsin by his daughter, parents, and brother

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's about it. I don't know all the details of the case haven't gone to court house yet, but not much comes up on clerk of courts search or warrant search for Portage County Wisconsin

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/20/2017
Criminal Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
N Cal Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

How long did he remain in Wisconsin after the arrest warrant was issued?

Was the charge a misdemeanor or a felony?

I'm not sure if it was a felony but he got in a fight and broke a guys jaw I'm guessing that's still a misdemeanor? He had moved to Texas shortly after because of serious threats by people after that. The warrant wasn't issued until after he moved.
just got back from court house. it was a misdemeanor battery charge happened in Dec.*****date was in
July of 88 decision was 20 days in jail counted as probation and $65 in court cost. He had moved before the case even
went to court. the case was decided by judge and pleaded out by the public defender. I don't believe he received any of the court info either. i just printed it all and am sending it to him.

Thank you for doing that research. It is hard to believe they went ahead and had a trial without first arresting the defendant - that was a blatant violation of his right to due process of law. He can probably get the conviction vacated on that basis but as a practical matter it may be better to have a local attorney negotiate a deal with the prosecutors perhaps to have him pay a fine and close the case instead of serving the jail sentence.

He can get a free consultation from some of the local attorneys listed here.

I hope this information is helpful.

thank you very much!!

Thank you for using Just Answer!

If you are satisfied, please remember to rate my answer as 3 or above; otherwise my time here is not compensated.

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer