Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I received a call today from an surgeon general investigator…

Customer Question
Hi' I received a...

Hi' I received a call today from an surgeon general investigator stating that they have reasons to believe I have be accused of fraud. Maybe 5 years or so ago an incident happened to me and my 4 young children at the time where this guy broke into my home and literally tried to kill me and my 4 children , so from that point on I me and my children were able to obtain new social security numbers and name changes

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not o sure how all this came about , this lady was very demanding and critical about judging my character and the way she perceived me to be is not true . I just need to know what steps I need to take in regards ***** ***** matter please

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/20/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Be very cautious of any telephone inquiry. It could very well be a scam of some sort. If you are contacted by these people again tell them that they must send you something in writing identifying exactly who they are and exactly what authority they have to be making an inquiry of you.

If you do receive such a writing then scrutinize it carefully to verify that it is authentic. Contact the government agency that purports to send it but NOT by calling the number on the letter, but rather by looking the agency up and contacting them directly.

If you are satisfied that it is a legitimate inquiry that does not mean that you have to respond. You can not be forced to speak with any government official. If you do communicate with the government agency be careful what you say and how you say it. Many people get into trouble with the government not because of any underlying wrong doing, but because they make a misstatement that the government decides is a false statement. False statements can be criminally prosecuted when made to a government agency.

Finally, if you were lawfully able to obtain a new identification that was done through a legal process. There will be Court orders and other documents that support your authorized new identity. Obtain copies of those documents and keep them in a safe place. Those documents would exonerate you against claims of fraud.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald