Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I applied to Penn State for their bachelors program, but a

Hi, I applied to Penn...
Hi, I applied to Penn State for their bachelors program, but a few days ago they requested a letter of explanation for my criminal offense. This incident occured eight years ago and remains my only offense. I'm not sure how much detail to include about my offense.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not sure what else I should say.
9/19/2017
Longhorn Lawyer

What does the request for the explanation ask, specifically?

Can you give me the text of the question?

Okay
Dear Matyida,The Undergraduate Admissions Office has advised the Office of Student Conduct that you answered in the affirmative regarding any previous disciplinary and/or criminal history.Please know that any prior disciplinary and/or criminal history does not automatically preclude you from admission, and the vast majority of applicants are approved for admission consideration. However, we do need to gather information to make a decision. In order to facilitate this inquiry, please provide a written account clarifying the following:The detailed nature of your offense(s).
How it was resolved, either through your previous institution or the court system (sanctions, sentence requirements, contact information for your probation officer / campus conduct officer).
Any counseling, rehabilitation, diversionary, or certificate programs that you successfully completed (please include verification).
Whether you are currently incarcerated, or under supervision by a probation or parole agent.
If suspended or separated from an educational institution, your eligibility to re-enroll.
What you have learned from the incident and your plan of action for the future.A registration hold has been placed on your account until the pre-admission process has been completed through the Office of Student Conduct. If the review is favorable, the hold will be lifted and the admissions process can continue.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: The issue about the amount of detail is not something I can answer, with any specificity. In my professional opinion, when someone asks questions, I answer the questions about the facts with as little opinion as possible and take the opportunity to give a longer narrative when they ask questions that do not have an objective right or wrong answer.

Many of those questions they've asked are self-explanatory. Answer them with just enough information to provide them with the answers, but not a lot of opinion. They want to know the facts.

And then in the place they ask about what you've learned, be honest and speak from the heart.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer