Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I having, I have a disorderly conduct charge in az. I was in…

Customer Question
I have a disorderly...

I have a disorderly conduct charge in az. I was in my home on the balcony bickering with my sister and a cop happenened to hear us and came up to our apartment. Found out I had a bench warrant from years ago so in was arrested. But then he gave me a dis charge.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I can't afford a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

August 28

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/19/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 9 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Is the disorderly conduct your old Arizona warrant case, or is it a recent case? Are you still in Arizona? What is your question about this?

Bench warrant is old case. D.C. is recent. I didn't do anything criminal . Why would he arrest me and not both of us.it was11 at night. We were on our way to bed. I need a good defense. Are you not secure in your own home.?YesGoing to court in an hour
You can call me now.

I can't call you because there was a payment processing problem and the site has not authorized me to call. Answer is coming now.

If this is your first court date, you don't need a defense. It's your arraignment and all you have to do is plead not guilty when your charges are read into the record and you are asked how you plead. That keeps all of your rights open, meaning you can negotiate a plea with the prosecuting attorney if you want to resolve the matter without an eventual trial or you can choose to fight the case, all the way to trial and verdict if you prefer that. After that the judge will adjourn your case for a new date.

Trials don't happen right away. The case could get to be many months old before one would get held. A delay of a year is not unusual.

This is a misdemeanor charge with a maximum possible penalty of 6 months in prison and/or a fine of up to $2,500. While jail is not a real possibility unless you go all the way to trial and are convicted, you do need to be mindful of that and of the fact that a conviction will give you a criminal record. For that reason, you should have a lawyer representing you as it's your best chance of best chance of being able to get a favorable plea offer or a verdict of an acquittal at trial.

If you can't afford one, after you plead not guilty, ask the judge to appoint you a public defender. If you can afford one, after you plead not guilty tell the judge you need a continuance to get a lawyer.

As far as your defense is concerned, defenses are based on the facts and circumstances of a case and what the state intends to use against you as is reflected in the discovery your lawyer will be provided with. Without seeing that discovery, you can't design an effective defense.

As far as why the police only arrested you, that's something you'll find out in discovery too. If I had to guess at that, they probably believed that you were the one who was the initial aggressor that set off the disorderly conduct.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.