How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacEsq Your Own Question
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 17113
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
ScottyMacEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter received a citation for underage drinking on

This answer was rated:

my daughter received a citation for underage drinking on 9/2/2017 at a college party in PA. She will be 21 on 10/10/2017. Should we plead guilty and appear in court to ask to do community service. The fine on the citation is $300 plus $154.50 in fees.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: My daughter is a resident of MD
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No the citation came Saturday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what else should he/she know?

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. One moment please...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The consequences for Underage Drinking, First Offense include A maximum fine of $500 for a first offense; Automatic license suspension of 90 days; Increased automobile insurance payments; Difficulty when applying to Universities; Difficulty seeking employment; Potential issues with landlords.

Now first-time offenders of Underage Drinking may participate in a first-time offender program, like Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) or a Youthful Offender Program (YOP), which allows the student to avoid a conviction, have the charge dismissed and then expunged from the criminal records. Participation in such programs normally results in the suspension of driving privileges, but it's best to keep these things off of the record. Now you could try to do this on your own, contacting the district attorney where she was arrested and asking for an ARD application or if there's a YOP in the county. It's best to have an attorney do it, as they're the ones that are interacting day after day with the prosecutors. That being said, you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with underage drinking cases. Go to or to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you