Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
17897874

If the police receive information that someone has been

If the police receive information that someone has been attempting to coerce minors into producing pornography, how long does it usually take for the search warrant to arrive. A friend of mine was speaking to a minor while he is nineteen and was alerted by a social networking administrator locatedin Canada that they received a report and that they may take legal action. The social network says it reports to their local law enforcement agency. He is located in California. He immediately deleted everything involving the app, and installed a new modem. By this point in time would his phone have been seized. He has obviously learned his lesson and won't make this mistake again. It's been about a month since there has been any contact about anything and cannot even confirm he has been reported. Like i said it's been over a month. Is there a possibility that there was either a) a lack of probable cause, b) the information never made it to law enforcement or c) the Canadian authorities did not report this to American police.
If a month has elapsed without any contact then it is likely no report was ever made to US law enfocement, as a warrant could be obtained in days if not hours.
It would be unusual for the police in the US to accept such reports or to take action in them due to jurisdictional issues in the logistics of the prosecution.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do social networking sites ever use legal threats as scare tactics to get people off their site? By this point in time my friend is still concerned but much less than before. Do crimes like this ever show up on interpol and what is INTERPOL's main job
It is probable that they were just trying to scare him.
The International Police Organization more commonly known as INTERPOL, is an intergovernmental organization facilitating international police cooperation and acting as a liason for different law enforcement agencies around the world.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this particular issue rather small compared to what gets posted on interpol and that the FBI investigates? He really wants to just move on. Do you think at this point in time that it's safe to say that this won't be investigated any further (I know you cannot make guarantees).
If he has not been contacted it is safe to assume nothing will happen and no action is being taken. He need not worry, but should avoid any further chatting with underage persons.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you as always. You are my favorite. May I ask how you became a lawyer and what law you were involved in? That's the track I want to be on.
I have been practicing over 30 yrs. i have been a prosecutor, then a defense attorney. After I opened my own office I eventually got involved in corporate and real estate matters. Now, I am retired, mostly.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.
You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Is it fair to say this matter is over and done with as there still hasn't been contact after a month and a half
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He is still really nervous as the statute of limitations is three years I believe. Do you believe us law enforcement was ever notified. Is there any way to confirm this? He has fear every time a police car drives by. Albeit, not as nervous before when we began this discussion. Of course no guarantees are expected, but why do you believe this is over and done with? Thanks for being a reliable and great resource.
The police usually move pretty quickly where minors are concerned. If something were going to happen, it would have. These things tend to pop in days, not months.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Does the communication between different departments of us law enforcement ever take this amount of time? For example someone contacts the Atlanta office of the FBI and they need to get information to the Chicago office. What kinds of cases are worked for months on end
Site rules require you open a new thread to ask a new question. Thank you for understanding.
Cases are investigated until there is probable cause to make an arrest.
In your friend’s case, if there were a sting operation in progress or a report of suspicious activity, law enforcement would usually act pretty quickly to obtain warrants ans seize computers and make an arrest. It would not generally take months.