Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Second opinion] I have 2 things that showed up on my back…

Second opinion] Hi, I...

Second opinion] Hi, I have 2 things that showed up on my back ground check that i failed to mention on my Application for my Louisiana Insurance License. One says, a felony Bad check charge from 04' that was dropped to a Misdemeanor and a possession of drug Paraphernalia in 05'. let me explain a little so you understand... my mother wrote a check to go to citi financial for a loan she had while i was in the hospital for almost 3 weeks due to my Asthma. When i got out of the hospital I was at my grandfather's home asleep one day the police show up and arrest me. I saw the copy of the check and automatically knew it was my moms signature. she worked at a state hospital at the time and me being 17 years old didn't want my mother to go to jail for forgery, but we have been estranged for a long time so you can see how I regret doing her that favor now!! So they dropped it to a Misdemeanor and she paid my fine if I took the charge for her. The Drug paraphernalia charge was from my child's father where he put a hollowed out pen in my purse that had residue on it because he was awaiting going to court for a DUI. I took the charge ( I'm too nice i Know) and He paid my fine. At the time you don't think about how misdemeanors will effect you 13 years later , but I didn't mention them because honestly I had forgotten about them. I have 30.days to respond to the LA Dept of insurance with the reasons why i didnt disclose this information. I was under the impression that if you had a possession if paraphernalia in Mississippi and it's if its your first time offense and you were under the age of 26 at the time *which I was* that it would be automatically taken off your record after 2 years. I'm now worried I will have legal action taken against me for not disclosing this information to LA and I dont know how to explain why i didnt disclose it to a way that they will still give me my License. I'm now 32 and Married with 2 children and I'm adopting My step son. My life is totally different now and I just need to know how I can get this taken off my record in the next 30 and or explain what's going on to the LA Insurace dept where I won't have any type of action taken towards me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

And Louisiana no

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of sorry for my bad grammar.. I was texting 90 miles and hour

30 days *
I also would have never agreed to the back ground check if I would have have known those charges were on there or even remembered them. I have a 1, 6 and 10 year old and I honestly have a hard time remembering what day it is. lol
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/19/2017
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney
Thank you for the background information. We all have made mistakes. What is the question I can answer for you today?
i think i asked it in all of the above .. lol
Can you condense this for me?
no I think it's pretty condensed from the original post

Is this your question:

"I just need to know how I can get this taken off my record in the next 30 and or explain what's going on to the LA Insurace dept where I won't have any type of action taken towards me."

You can seek to have any records expunged. In the meantime explaining what you explained to me above will not be helpful for your situation. The best you can do is tell them that you are sorry that you omitted the information, however, your attorney advised you that this would not be an issue for you, because you were under the age of 26 and your understanding was that this would be automatically expunged from your record in two years.

Admitting to guilt even if it was to protect another will not help in this situation so the best thing to do is what I stated above. You can also point to your life at this point in time that you are no longer a victim of the circumstances that surrounded you at that time and that you are a pillar of the community.

As I opened the question we all make mistakes. The laws are complicated and you ever right to rely on what your Attorney stated to you. As far as the background checks they are legal and you will want them corrected after expunging what can be removed.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

I hope I addressed everything. If not please let me know.

Would you like the attachment removed for privacy?

attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney
please

My pleasure.

attyadvisor
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney