Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just received a letter today saying I initially altering…

Customer Question
Hi I just received...

Hi I just received a letter today saying I initially altering documents to obtain benefits and misrepresentation of purpose for care information is coming directly from Broward regional health planning center and they said they are referring it to the division of public assistance fraud for possible prosecution and/or recoupment

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Just to let you know I did not receive the benefits I was denied

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I literally received it two hours ago

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/18/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 11 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your question with regard to this matter?

Am I going to go to court? I don't know what my next move should be..I didn't receive the services I inquired about so I don't not sure what I should do
No phone call at this point

The health center has essentially said they believe that you were trying to commit welfare fraud. If you received no welfare payments as your claim was denied, public assistance is not out any funds and may do nothing. However, if they want to investigate you, you would be entitled to due process.

Public assistance would contact you and give you an opportunity for a hearing. There is nothing you need to do before then, unless you want to start looking for a lawyer to be with you at any hearing.

Did the letter you received give you any options/instructions?

It says I have a right to file a formal written a PO for review by the chief executive officer of Broward regional health planning Council cellular to file this appeal timely with your right to an appeal ...submit a written appeal that must fully describe the nature of the error you believe has been made that shall contain any documentation which supports your claim
Failure not cellur
failure to file this appeal timely waived your right to A appeal

If you do nothing at all, Broward Regional Health Planning Counsel will go with what evidence they have and they will turn this over to Public Assistance, who may or may not wish to have you prosecuted. If you can characterize what you did as a mistake rather than a deliberate attempt to defraud the government, then you should appeal so that the Counsel will weigh your statements and your documentation against the evidence that they have and decide whether to report you to public assistance or not. If you can't, you're better off remaining silent.

I can't advise you on what to do. I am not allowed to provide anything more than general legal information. If you have a defense, the Counsel has told you where and how to provide it, but as anything you say can be used against you, you should not submit anything to them in writing without running it by a local lawyer to see if it would do more good than harm.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.