Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have infraction charges with possession of marijuana and…

Customer Question
I have infraction charges...

I have infraction charges with possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. I'm 19 years old in the state of Nebraska and I'm wondering if I plead guilty and pay the fine how much it's going to affect me getting a job in the future.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, she didn't say much to me. I was caught with a friend and she's trying to get his paraphernalia charge dropped but never mentioned that with me. She's pushing me towards diversion but I really don't want to. I'd rather plead guilty and pay my fine and move on from it.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Okay.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I mean this is the first time I've ever gotten in trouble. And the pipe was in the car with me but was put away and wasn't being used nor were there plans to use it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/18/2017
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 8 months ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Okay, thank you.

Good afternoon. This would have a negative impact in the future and could prevent you from getting a job. I say this because if it is between you and someone else and they have a clean record, a potential employer may not decide to hire you because of this on your record. While it may be easier to take a plea and resolve it and pay a fine and take a class, the long term effects may not be in your best interest. If you are a first time offender, you can ask the State if they would allow you to enter into a diversion program. A diversion program would allow you to get the case dismissed and keep your record clean. It normally requires you to stay out of trouble, for a period of 3-6 months, pay fines and court costs and perform community service. If you do it all, the end result is normally a dismissal. These type of programs are set up to allow first time offenders to learn from their mistake and keep their records clean. It can be something that you ask about when you appear and the State will determine if you are eligible.

I'm just currently a full time student and go home pretty frequently and don't want to tell my parents why i keep going back to get random drug tests.

I do understand. The fines and court costs could be a few hundred dollars if you wanted to resolve this and when you appear, could ask for a plea deal, to resolve this.

Yeah it's about $350 for diversion and all the costs and $450 for the charges and court fees. I'm going into nursing and don't want it to affect my future.

Well I think nursing will see this and it could be an issue and you need to be licensed by the State as well, so you really do not want this on your record.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law