Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was recently in a halway house/rehab program that should…

Customer Question
I was recently in...

I was recently in a halway house/rehab program that should be heavily investigated by outside sources that cannot be bought off. Preferrably a group instead of an individual representing a whole group. I was there under court order. After 7 months, I learned I had a warrant for a vop due to the rehab not sending my monthly report to them nor even the first paper where i entered the program. The program coordinator got ahold of my county's judge's secretary phone number. I called and explained to her the situatiion and that they have been sending the paperwork as far as they had led me to continue believing. She set my court date and told me to turn myself in the day of court no later tham 7am to be in and out quickly as possible and to have the coordinator to send a copy of my file to her so the judge would have it as well seeing that my probation office had been under investigation a few times. The following day the program coordinator told me that she sent my file to the judge and that i had nothing to worry about. In court they asked for proof i was there the month i said i entered. I told him that i was told he now had a copy of my entire file. He showes me a paper saying her name, that she was the coordinator of the program and to expect me in court today. That was all she sent. I was supposed to return to court a few weeks ago with my file. They would not release my file to me saying i shouldn't have waited til the last minute to ask for it, although the knew 5 months prior and i reminded them again a month before the court was set for. I was infuriated and made a comment on the unprofessionalism of management and that they shouldnt be in control over people whose freedom depends on them. I was also informed by a staff member/ex client that another individual is in jail over the same thing. That staff member went to ask her why she hadnt sent anything to his p.o and explained that he had to flatten his time now because of violating the court order by not going to the program. The coordinator claimed she never knew he was on probation. The staff member grabbed his file and it showed on there in his entry paperwork that he was and had the numbers to call and fax. He told me this because i share the same name first name as the other guy ans he told me he had initially grabbed my file by accident and that the only thing in my file over a ten month period was only my entry paper. I missed court and now have a fta warrant and im scared of the rehab falsifying progress due to thw terms of my last encounter with them. I have most of my receipts for rent i paid while i was there but not my first two and 3 others throughout the middle. Idk if i was scheduled to complete because thw order was for long term anywhere from 6-18 months. I done 10 months there. It was a 90-day and a 1year program. At 8 months in they created a 6-month program so i askex if i can get a six month certificate of completion so i can go ahead and get court over with and they said no because i signed up for the 12 mo, but they didnt have a 6 mo when i started. There is no difference in the program or activities, only the the amount of time. What should i do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Tn. And court was sept.11 Im not sure when it was issued. I contacted court the morning of the 11th to get it rescheduled due to transportation and health issues stuck 3 hours away and they said no. I tried to contact my public defender that was initially assigned to me when i was ordered to rehab and never heard anything back. The only time i hear feom him is in court and its never about thw case. It's always a,"hey how you been?" and he dont even listen for me to say good or bad.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Im currently in the process of trying to find ones that specializes in that area that will do a free consultation to discuss plan and payment plan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I lost my job two weeks before court due to attendance by their new policy standards.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/18/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

I've reviewed your question, and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your situation and about the negligent treatment you've run into with this program.

You your attorney to subpoena all of your paperwork from the program -- entry dates, classes attended, fees paid, everything they have.

I understand you mentioned you've had some difficulties in getting a hold of your public defender, I can let you know about finding some pro bono attorneys in your area.

The clerk's office at the courthouse where your case is being heard, as well as the judicial assistant there, has a list of pro bono attorneys that have given their names voluntarily to help people in situations like yours.

These are experienced criminal defense attorneys willing to represent you voluntarily. The information is not publicly posted, but if you reach out to the clerk's office or JA, they can provide you with the name and number of a pro bono attorney.

Your attorney will advise you concerning this, but once you have secured a lawyer, you most likely will need to turn yourself in to address the outstanding bench warrant. Hopefully your attorney will be able to make that process as quick and easy as possible.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!