Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm on parole in Missouri after serving 7 years on 10 for…

Customer Question
I'm on parole in...

I'm on parole in Missouri after serving 7 years on 10 for chronic DWI. I don't have a drivers license now. I was working in Oklahoma and got pulled over for turn signal. I got arrested for false personation. I bonded out and now I need to see my parole officer. What can I expect

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm in Joplin missouri. The arrests was 60 miles away in Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The charge is a felony but the bondsman said he knows an attorney that will reduce it to a misdemeanor

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

As far as what you can expect-- there will be 2 ongoing cases here that you need to be concerned about.

The first is the new charge.

The second is a parole violation hearing.

A parole violation hearing will take place regardless of the outcome of the new case, but of course a favorable outcome in the new case could be beneficial.

As far as getting the new charge reduced to a misdemeanor, yes it's possible, but it depends on the facts of your case and is ultimately in the judge's discretion, so alot depends on how favorable the judge is.

You need an attorney for the new case, but it is also recommended to have an attorney represent you in your parole violation hearing as well.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!