Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Second opinion] Can a 3rd party video of me speeding or

Customer Question
Second opinion] Can a...

Second opinion] Can a 3rd party video of me speeding or driving recklessly be used against me in court? I am most curious about Maryland and Pennsylvania traffic court laws.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It was MD or PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of ...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's about it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/18/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Actually, video from third party can be used in court as evidence of your driving. The video would have to be properly authenticated, meaning the person who took the video must show up in court and testify to the date, time and location of the video and also that it is an unaltered video they took. But if the person shows up in court to testify in either MD or PA, then the video can be entered into evidence against the driver.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.