Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son had a probation violation when arrested for swerving.

Customer Question
My son had a...

My son had a probation violation when arrested for swerving. crushed pill on second stop, found in console, car torn apart, no testing and probation revoked from a prior arrest for dwi. plead guilty the two other people he was with were smoking marijuana outside the car. my son was feeding a kitten in the back seat of his car. kid outside had his keys. he was charged. he's been on probation for a year now and up until a month ago he was pulled over for swerving and a week later, he was pulled over again for swerving and charger with a dwi for a non narcotic prescription sleeping pill a friend left in his car probation and charged with a dwi for the crushed pill in his console. He is in jail without an attorney. Isn't he allowed representation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No can't afford one

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Your question: "Isn't he allowed representation?"

Answer:

Yes, he can either retain his own lawyer or he can fill out the application for a court appointed attorney and if the court determines that he is indigent the one will be appointed for him. He can ask the jail for a form or, if they do not have one, he can send a request to the clerk of courts asking for a form. In addition, if he gets a court date before he gets the form he can make an oral request at court.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

I am about to go offline for the evening. I will be back online tomorrow so if you have any follow up questions please ask them in this thread and I will answer them as soon as I see them. If you haven't issued a Positive Rating yet I would encourage you to do so now. Issuing a Positive Rating will prevent the question from timing out and closing and will lock it open so it can be accessed and the Q and A can continue at any time from this evening or even a year or more from now.