Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How can I file a complaint on my son's probation officer? My…

Customer Question
How can I file a...
How can I file a complaint on my son's probation officer?
My son is an adult 26 year old on probation. He has currently been living with me, my husband, and his 4 siblings for about 5 months now. His probation officer and her partner have been extremely aggressive with my son from day one that he started his probation. Just yesterday the probation officer came over, which was a surprise because they hadn't came over for 2 weeks, and just a week ago she dropped my son levels. From a level 1 to a level 3 for good behavior. So she came over with her new partner, I guess they knew there was going to be a boxing match tonight so they figured they would barge in on all their clients just to catch them red handed! (Drinking or Parting, I guess) I was not in the home, and neither was my husband. My son who is on PO was here of course, my 17 year old daughter was here, her best friend, my other 3 children ages 12,11,and 10 were here, and the two little boys that my 17 yr old baby sits ages 5 & 6, and their mother was also here picking the boys up from work. So apparently she (PO) barged in my home, went straight to the kitchen and to the fridge something they had never done in 5 months, saw my cooler that I had filled with ice and beer because my husband, and I were getting everything ready to go watch Canelo Vs Triple G boxing match at my brother in laws home. So she starts asking my son all these questions about the beer in a very rude way and starts getting into my son's face and asking him "Are You Pissed?" Various times in front of all the children and in from in the boys mom. Trying really hard to provoke my son to do something he would regret, teasing him. (that's Not anything new) they have always tested his patience, and to me they have abused him mentally. (Just too much to put on here) So as she was here turns out my 28 year old daughters boyfriend comes to the house to give my 11 year old $25 for a coupon book she's selling from school, he walks in the house when the PO is here and she starts asking him very loud......Hey you!!! what your name???? And starts interrogating him, he answers and gives only his name then he walks out, so she tells her partner......"Go get his license plate number!" So I start getting multiple calls from all my children who were crying historically, and that wanted me home immediately because they were afraid of this woman! So thing is I'm very upset because I understand my son is on Probation for bad choices he has made in the past, but why come into my house full of children, when I'm not here, and starts petrifying all the children and questioning my guests? My 10 year old, and my daughter's friend who is 17 we're literally SHAKING of how scared they were! Now my 10 year old keep looking out the window because she's afraid she's coming back! Also they have came into my house in the past and actually gone upstairs without my consent to go and wake up my son, is that right for them to do that? My son has only 3 months left of probation, but I'm really scared that they are trying really hard to provoke my son, and make him fail so they can keep him in the system. I'm going into the Probation office Monday morning to file a complaint. To be honest I don't know who to go to or who to ask for for, but all the children wrote letters about how they feel and what they saw! I don't plan on letting them in my home anymore! I've been too nice with them already! Is there something I should know before I walk into that office? Thank you!
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/17/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You would need to speak to the probation office supervisor at the office. However, it is not wise to not let them in your home anymore, because if you do so then they will revoke your son's probation and send him to jail for a probation violation. Part of what your son agreed upon when he signed up for probation, which is a privilege and not a right, is to be supervised and follow their rules, so if you refuse to let them in you could cause him to lose his probation.

So, you need to file a complaint with the supervisor, because they have no right to behave like you described above and they certainly do not have a right to treat everyone in the house like this. If the supervisor will not take action, then you need to take your son down to the public defender's office and have them seek to file for early termination of probation and have the attorney present the evidence of this misconduct to the court to show the good cause reason for early termination of probation.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.