Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm looking into expunging my arrest record. Before I

Customer Question
I'm looking into expunging...

I'm looking into expunging my arrest record. Before I continue, I am trying to determine if I am eligible for expungement. I have a case from 1994 that have 2 charges, 1 charge is Receiving Stolen Property which is a M1 and the other charge is Forgery which is a nolle prosequi. I also have a case from 2007 with a charge of attempt to commit an offense. The original charge was complicity. Will I be able to continue with expungement?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Ohio, one case is from 1994 and the other case is from 2007

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, the case from 2007 involved my daughters fighting and I didn't break up the fight. The girl my daughter fought was under 18

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

I've reviewed your question and am happy to help. Give me a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

Fortunately you do qualify to have your entire record expunged.

Due to fairly recent changes in Ohio expungement laws that took place in 2014, you are eligible to have your criminal record sealed.

The requirements are that you have 1 felony and 1 misdemeanor conviction, OR 2 misdemeanor convictions.

If you have a 2nd charge arising from the same incident that was dismissed, such as in your case, it's also eligible for expungement.

In order to get your record expunged, you'll need to fill out an application and submit it to the Clerk of Court at the courthouse where your cases were originally heard.

You can find the expungement packet and instructions here:

http://www.seols.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Conviction-Expungement-Packet-PDF.pdf

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

I understand, bothe cases, the one from 1994 and the case from 2007 is eligible for expungement?
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

That's correct!

Don't forget to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!