Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Who monitors parolees restitution payments to victims of…

Customer Question
Who monitors parolees restitution...

Who monitors parolees restitution payments to victims of felony theft?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

The state of Tennessee and our contractor plead guilty to theft of

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, the parole officers were the people we reported lack of payments to in the past but when we tried to report this the last time, we were told we had to report to a victims advocate but I've never been able to find an office to report to.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The parolee is related to an important lawyer in Knoxville where we live and we have not found information easy to obtain.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

This is also monitored by the court, specifically the judge who oversaw the underlying felony theft case.

Failure to make restitution payments as ordered in the terms of his probation contract, constitute a potential violation of his probation.

This matter should be brought up before the judge.

Yes, you can contact the county's Victim's Advocate program about this, but another route would be to also contact the prosecutor assigned to his case.

The prosecutor can put the case back on calendar and bring this to the judge's attention, the judge will then order that restitution payment be made, or this individual could face a violation and potentially be taken back into custody.

Once that is brought to an individual's attention by the judge, restitution payments tend to be be made more reliably.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!