Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I live in NBorth Carolina am 70 years old with no prior

Customer Question
I live in NBorth...

I live in NBorth Carolina am 70 years old with no prior record of any kind and I went through the self checkout and did not scan a lot of my merchandize totaling 67.41 (groceries). I am scared to death went to court today and all they did was read the charges she said misdeameanor with 120 jail sentence I just about had heart attachk

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina Walmart self checkout. The gentleman said he would be Ixsecurity officer)_ The gentleman said he would verify that I was very cooperative did not try and run etc. Is that true. I do not have an attornety

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

]No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have to go back on Nov 7th

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 11 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The charge is a misdemeanor charge, but unless you took a plea of guilty and agreed to serve 120 days of jail -- which I doubt that you did -- you've only been arraigned on the charges. You should have a lawyer with you when you come back on November 7. Typically, for an offense like this, unless you have a record of several similar theft offenses, you can resolve this charge in some way that will allow you to avoid jail.

The usual disposition for a petty theft offense involves probation. In fact, if this is a frist offense, there is generally a way to resolve this without coming out of the case with a misdemeanor conviction either.

If you can afford a lawyer, retain one between now ahd your court date and have him with you when you have to appear. If you cannot, when you come back on the 7th, tell the court you are unable to afford counsel and ask him to appoint you a free lawyer to help you resolve the case.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

I understand your answer and am very appreciative. Not sure if I can afford an attorney...should I get PD?