Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What type of legal help is available in Kansas for illegal…

Customer Question
What type of legal...

What type of legal help is available in Kansas for illegal immigrants who were picked up in transit ? Ten were picked up in crowded pickup just south of Clay Center . The newspaper indicates they were then taken to Chase County to be deported.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

This is in Kansas. i have no information on the type of pickup it was.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No . i just want to know what type of help they could have recieved before being transported to ICE in Chase County Kansas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know any thing else!

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Unfortunately immigrants without valid legal status in the US are not legally entitled to legal representation. This means there is no system for assigning them court-appointed attorneys, in the way that a US citizen gets assigned an attorney in a legal case.

There are however several organizations in Kansas aimed at helping undocumented immigrants.

I can provide you with a list of them, and my recommendation would be to phone around to these organizations and find out which ones are willing or able to help in this situation.

Here is a link to the Immigration Advocates Network with a list of all of their Kansas organizations that offer legal assistance to undocumented immigrants. There are 7 organizations listed.

https://www.immigrationadvocates.org/nonprofit/legaldirectory/search?state=KS

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!