Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I i am f1 student can i buy a gun, Tennessee, No, Nothing…

Customer Question
I i am f1...

I i am f1 student can i buy a gun

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing ma'am

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

A am sorry but the answer is basically No:

"An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business." from

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonimmigrant-alien-who-has-been-admitted-united-states-under-nonimmigrant-visa

If you are concerned about self defense, you can legally possess pepper spray.

I hope this information is helpful.

i can i apply for gun license

Only if you first get a hunting license. Here is the federal statute:

(y)Provisions Relating to Aliens Admitted Under Nonimmigrant Visas.—

(1)Definitions.—In this subsection—(A)

the term “alien” has the same meaning as in section 101(a)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(3)); and

(B)

the term “nonimmigrant visa” has the same meaning as in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)).

(2)Exceptions.—Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and (s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is—(A)

admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;

///

from

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922