Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am im on felony probation and have been invited on a

Customer Question
Hello. I am im...

Hello. I am im on felony probation and have been invited on a cruise leaving the country. I have not violated and am on a relatively long leash. If I choose to leave the country, how likely is it that I will be violated? My p.o. says she needs a months notice prior to authorizing any out of country travel and I am due to leave Sunday.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

It is felony fraud. Financial theft crime.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The vacation is a gift. The person did not know that I was on probation.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: James Daloisio, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is*****'m an attorney and a former prosecutor. I can tell you that your probation officer would probably write it up as a violation, because it is a violation. Whether the court would take any action is another question. My advice to you would have been to go straight to court and ask that your case be called. The clerk would get the file and place it on the calendar and the judge would call it, and you could explain the whole thing right there in court. But it looks like you're running out of time. If I were in your position, I wouldn't go. But that's a decision you'll have to make. To answer your question, I believe it is likely that your probation officer would write it up as a violation because she's already told you she needs a month's notice and apparently isn't willing to make an exception. If you have time to get to court today, that's your best course of action.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Lawyer