Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Just wanted to know if using my name in a justice court

Customer Question
Just wanted to know...

Just wanted to know if using my Nick name in a justice court would make a difference I been going by my nickname k name my entire life I won the civil suit in court but then she tries to tell the judge that wasn't my name he asked me what it was it old him what the court appears said he said ok but she wanna sue me now cause she say that wasn't my name

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 5 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

I don't see how someone could sue you for using your nickname in your court papers if you go by that your entire life. The judge did not seem concerned about this issue, and I don't see a basis for a suit here. Sounds like she may be grabbing at straws to find some way not to have to pay the judgment. A suit would go nowhere, unless there's much more than you're telling me than the fact that you used a nickname.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD