Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My daughter has been incarcerated since early June 2017. She…

Customer Question
My daughter has been...

My daughter has been incarcerated since early June 2017. She was a passenger in a car that the driver was pulled stopped by the police, driver had a warrent for previous drug charges. All 4 people in the car were arrested because the car was searched and found small amount of heroin and drug paraphernalia. My daughter was a passenger, not a heroin user yet she is being held for those charges. I cannot afford a lawyer, she has been assigned 3 different public defenders since being arrested due to being moved to different divisions because one or more persons in the car had open pending charges in different divisions. She has not been seen by a lawyer yet. I have called all the offices involved and I feel she is getting lost in the system. How can I get some help for her can she be charged and sentenced up to 5 years if there is no proof the drug was hers and a ton of history of it belonging to the driver?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Louisiana is the state and I think the driver's warrant was from 2015 and/or 2016 or earlier in 2017 (he has had many drug and gun charges).

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I talked with the first assigned public defender then she was moved to a different division and given a new defender. I made many attempts to speak with him but he never would call back, then she was moved again to another division with another public defender. I have made 3 calls to his office and spoke with the receptionist who states she will give him the message yet I have never received a return call.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this a violation of my daughter's rights, being in jail for over 3 months without seeing a lawyer?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/14/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Are you saying that she hasn't been brought to court on these charges? Are you saying that when she's brought to court no lawyer ever shows up on her case? Or are you saying that her public defender isn't making prison visits?

She was brought to court for arraignment only, she was suppose to have the second assigned public defender there however that judge said she was being changed to a different division since someone else in the car had 'open or pending' charged from previous. She goes to court with the new division on 09/25/2017 with a new judge and supposedly a new defender which she has never seen or spoken to. This is for Motions. How can she be seen for motions if no one has spoken to her?
I cannot afford additional charges to call.
I cannot pay the additional $59.00 and the additional $31.00. Can you please answer my question that I already asked?
Hello?
Extremely disappointed and feel like this is a scam. I would like my money back. If charges show up on my credit card, you will be reported. You should be ashamed of yourself and the company you work for.

Sorry for the delay. Even lawyers get to take a lunch break.

If you are still interested in an answer, let me know. If not, the site charges its customers upfront, but if you contact***@******.***, they will refund your deposit

Either way, good luck to your daughter.

Ely, Counselor at Law