How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118655
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grand daughter's ex boyfriend got into an argument with

Customer Question

My grand daughter's ex boyfriend got into an argument with her and took her phone and her car keys, had an accident that totaled her car. He called her to the scene of the accident and threatened her and said she had to say she was driving the car because he did not have a license. she then gave a false statement to the police officer by saying she was driving the car. Can she rectify the situation by writing a letter to the police officer and giving the true statement. The ex boyfriend is violent in nature.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Michigan a few days ago.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, she just called her father and told him what happened.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I have the facts just as my son, her father, gave them to me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

She needs to correct the issue, but I am afraid if she does this now without an attorney, she faces criminal charges for filing a false police report. What she will need to do is hire a local attorney and will need to have the attorney make contact with the district attorney first to work out a deal for immunity for your granddaughter before she gives a sworn statement about him threatening her to lie for him.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.