Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My grand daughter's ex boyfriend got into an argument with…

Customer Question
My grand daughter's ex...

My grand daughter's ex boyfriend got into an argument with her and took her phone and her car keys, had an accident that totaled her car. He called her to the scene of the accident and threatened her and said she had to say she was driving the car because he did not have a license. she then gave a false statement to the police officer by saying she was driving the car. Can she rectify the situation by writing a letter to the police officer and giving the true statement. The ex boyfriend is violent in nature.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Michigan a few days ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, she just called her father and told him what happened.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I have the facts just as my son, her father, gave them to me.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/14/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

She needs to correct the issue, but I am afraid if she does this now without an attorney, she faces criminal charges for filing a false police report. What she will need to do is hire a local attorney and will need to have the attorney make contact with the district attorney first to work out a deal for immunity for your granddaughter before she gives a sworn statement about him threatening her to lie for him.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer