Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I'm trying to find out about statues of limitations, because

Customer Question

Hi! I'm trying to find out about statues of limitations, because I've found out that someone has been claiming I don't have the work experience that I do, as well as stating I'm lying about my education (which I presume is slander). They've also been discussing my personal dating life in the professional environment, which I tend to think is sexual harassment. This person is a former intimate partner who has repeatedly in the past come to my home in the middle of the night without consent and once waited in the alley beside my house after 3 in the morning, after we were no longer together, to try to see if I was dating someone else (which she stated she was able to do by watching my and my partner at the time's online times). I'm under the impression that I cannot get a peace order at this point since enough time has elapsed since the stalking occurrences took place, and hopefully the incidences of stalking have stopped. However, the slander and sexual harassment (both I'm presuming, fall under the umbrella of harassment when from a previous partner with stalking behavior) have been continuing. It's also taking a long time to determine the extent of this, since I often only hear about this long after these slanderous conversations have transpired.
JA: Because criminal law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have received limited advice from lawyers (notably associated with a local domestic violence program), but I do not have a lawyer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to ask what my options are regarding harassment, slander, and sexual harassment, as well as if, given that this is being inflicted by a prior intimate partner with stalking behavior, that since this seems to fall under that larger context of stalking/harassment, if there are any other options to get this to stop. I'm reaching out at this point because I'm realizing that statutes of limitations may begin to limit my choices if I don't proceed sooner rather than later.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear abou your situation.

The statute of limitations on defamation of character in Maryland is one year. Md. Code of Courts and Jud. Procedure, Section 5-105. Note, however, that this is a rolling one year that starts over each time an untrue statement is repeated.

From a civil perspective, the rest what you've described falls within the definition of an intentional tort called "intentional infliction of emotional distress." That's what it's called when someone engages in a course of conduct that serves no legitimate purpose and is done only to upset, score, or annoy someone. You do have to be able to show a physical injury, which can include physical manifestations of emotional distress - anxiety, insomnia, and things like that. The statute of limitations is three years. Section 5-101.

If you wanted to press criminal charges, the statute of limitations would be one year for any misdemeanor, which includes stalking. Section 5-106. You would need to be in immediate danger to request a peace order, but may still be able to file charges if it's been less than one year since the last incident.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?