Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My mom was told by a detective, that I was to have no

Customer Question

Hi, my mom was told by a detective, that I was to have no contact with my daughter, I never got served any papers, and I personally, was never told or given any information, is that legal?
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Idaho
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Slightly, they also said her mother is to have no contact as well, and she lives in Oregon, with nothing to do with it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is all over a child abuse case, but we don't know who called, or why, they talked to my daughter already
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Sometimes, a complainant who's not sure whether he or she wants to have someone charged with a crime makes a complaint to the police. Instead of asking the police to get charges pressed, he or she asks the police to reach out and warn the offender to leave the complainant alone.

Is there an order in effect? No. So you couldn't be arrested for violating an order of any sort. However, you have been put on notice that you were to have no contact with your daughter. That means if you do contact her, she can have you charged with harassment since you've been told that your contact is not welcome.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.