Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am writing for help for my stepson. He is in Coffield Unit…

Customer Question
I am writing for...

I am writing for help for my stepson. He is in Coffield Unit in Tennessee Colony. His case is a bizzare web and he collected three felonies in about 1-2 years. He was sentenced to time served + x time on probation. He violated his probation and was sent to

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

The charge on two was running from an officer, the third was theft of a motorcycle which I don't think was prosecuted. He wasn't running from a warrant, or anything he had done that day, he was simply picked up doing 85 in a 55 zone and didnt stop till he got home 10 minutes later. He has on violent crimes. He has no lawyer He had a public defender for the two charges

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

But he is very hard headed he called me a saturday and wanted out that day. I refused to bail him out. He called the DA and asked what did he need to do to getr out that day. They told him, simple, plead guilty to the two running charges. I could have defended and pleaded down those charges.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/14/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

If you receive an email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

I read your facts, is there a specific question with which I can assist?

He entered prison in June. Counting time served he was immediately parole eligible. He applied and was granted parole. Two days later he attempted to exercise in a tee shirt with the sleeves cut off. A 19y/o female guard told him that was against rules. He pointed out to her that all the others in the yard had cut sleeves. She then demanded he remove the shirt and give it to her. He refused. She charged him with a contraband violation and accused him of threatening her. He denies any threat. Two days later he was informed that his parole status was changed to denied and that the date for the next eligibility was in 2020. Prior to the incident it was in 2018. He protested and sent out requests for information from all prison officials. None of the I-60's were acknowledged or responded to. Meanwhile they are telling him case closed and he has no appeal or recourse. What are your thoughts? I think we need a lawyer immediately.

There is no appeal or recourse for denial of parole. That is because in Texas parole is a privilege and not a right. You could hire an attorney and have them make an argument that since he had already been granted parole it should not have been revoked and a t-shirt with sleeves cut off is not contraband but there really is no way to enforce that if they do not agree.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

the last word was "lost"
You say that parole is un-appealable. What if there have been information release violations. Also the ombudsmans office finds it odd that the main file was "lost"
This man, 42 y/o is a college grad, had a 200K job selling police car light bars and was never accused of a violent crime or a crime of theft or sex.

I don't have an opinion on whether he should or should not be granted parole because I don't know the man, his background, or anything about the crime (other than what you put here). All I'm saying is that denial of parole in Texas is not appealable. To get anything done you'll have to approach it in a different manner than appealing the denial.

I find it unsatisfactory that I get switched from one to another (lawyer), that the advertised concept of phone was unacceptable to you and that I am getting as much attention as a bum in a grocery store. I plan to dispute this charge on my credit card. This experience was not only not worth it, it was a total waste of time.

I am the only expert answering your questions and I respond as soon as you post. But it is obvious that you just don't like my answers even though they don't agree with what you think the law should be. I'll opt out and you can speak with someone else.