Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I asked my former roommate to leave the home that we rent…

Customer Question
I asked my former roommate...
I asked my former roommate to leave the home that we rent from a property managment company in the middle of July of this year because he became involved with drugs and an unbecoming crowd. He neglected to pay his portion of the rent for two and half months resulting in a cash deficit for my fiance and I. He has still neglected to pay us back the $1250 that he owes us. Is it possible for us to retain a lawyer and take him to court and have him court order to pay?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi Don. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Criminal Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

I am sorry to hear that your former roommate has placed you and your fiance in a difficult financial situation.

A few clarifications:

• Was he on the lease?
  • When you say that he did not pay his portion of the rent, was that from mid-July until now, or was that prior to the mid-July move-out date?
he was on the lease. Since then we have signed a new lease with a roommate removal form.He did not pay prior to July and the move-out date.
Criminal Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

Okay. Thank you for that information.

Yes, you may file suit against him for the unpaid rent. Although, you may want to save yourself money on an attorney and represent yourself in small claims court. Please click here to review the Tennessee guide for small claims court. It is an excellent resource for you to determine whether you need an attorney and how to proceed with your case.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Criminal Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.