How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27752
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to find out how to restore my civil rights. i was

Customer Question

i wanted to find out how to restore my civil rights. i was convicted of a felony grand larcereny in ny in 2006 and got 5 years probation
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: ny
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i now live in south carolina
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.


I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

If you want all of your Civil Rights restored because of a NY felony matter, there are two ways to go about it. The first is to apply for a pardon from the governor of New York. They are so rarely granted, however, that it's likely not worth the effort.

Because NYS doesn't expunge convictions and pardons are as rare as hen's teeth, there is a second option, and it's much easier to get. YOu would apply for a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilites or a Certificate of Good Conduct. The latter would restore all of your civil rights, except, possibly, your gun rights. The former would restore all of your rights except your right to hold office and, possibly, your gun rights.

Here's what the Certificate will do and not do for you.

And here's the application form.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.