How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to put child support on my child's father but I met

Customer Question

Hi I wanted to put child support on my child's father but I met him when he was 31 and I was 17. But met him at a bar and he thought I was 21 and we had a "one night stand" and ended up getting pregnant but was not with him after that. I'm now 20 and he's 34 and my son is 3. If I put child support on him and go through the court for custody over my son can the court press charges if I'm not trying to press charges?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And just to clarify, have charges been officially filed?
Customer: In California and no, none have been filed and he isn't even on the birth certificate because I was afraid charges would be filed against him when I was at the hospital after I gave birth
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear you have not had any financial assistance.

In CA, the statute of limitations for statutory rape, when the parties are more than 3 years apart, is 1 year for a misdemeanor, 3 years for a felony.

Here is the relevant code:

After the statute of limitations has expired, no criminal action can be brought but one can still bring a child support motion. The court may only order child support retroative to the date of filing of the request.

Information on that is here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
Terms of service can be viewed here: