Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

2 Sheriffs showed up to my parents house (which is where my…

Customer Question
2 Sheriffs showed up...

2 Sheriffs showed up to my parents house (which is where my address is but I do not live there) they were looking for me and I believe they were serving a warrant for failing to appear. I got a dui over a year ago and did not follow through with my diversion program they set another court date and I did not appear to that court date. Is there a way to turn myself in without being arrested and going to jail? I am an Oregon resident.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

The state is oregon and I'm not sure when the warrant was issued. The court date I last missed was august 31st

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure what kind of information is helpful in this situation?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If you go down to the police station on your own, police will almost certainly hold you until they can take you before the judge, which could mean spending a day or two in jail. However, you can try calling the court where you were supposed to appear and asking the clerk to confirm whether (a) they see a warrant listed on the case and (b) they can schedule a date for you to go in front of the judge to face the charges. The clerks do not trace these calls or otherwise use them as a way to track people down, so you should have no risk in requesting the information.

With a warrant that is for failure to appear, usually the judge will rescind it once the person appears in court. They just want you to show up. Which means most of the time a person in your situation can go to their court date without getting arrested. It may help to take a local attorney with you to the courthouse. If you cannot afford one, call the public defender's office to see if they can have someone meet you there. They usually have lawyers in the courthouse, prepared to help out anyone who needs a lawyer.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?