Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

The bailiff is trying to serve me and I've avoided it thus

Customer Question

The bailiff is trying to serve me and I've avoided it thus far. This is a criminal case and I do not want to testify. I work at a large manufacturing plant and I hope they will not accept the subpoena so it can be delivered to me at work. they would have to hold it until I return to work which could be a few days from now. Do you think my work will accept the subpeona?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am hoping avoiding the subpoena will get me off the hook.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Most employers will not accept service for an employee as a policy. Also, it is arguably not proper service as the employer is not authorized to accept subpoenas for employees under any other statute and domiciliary service is used for the residence of the employee, not their employment. So the bailiff should not even try to serve your employer, they would need to serve you directly, since your employer is not a court officer who is sworn to give you the subpoena.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.