Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was convicted of a class h felony for forgery uttering in…

Customer Question
I was convicted of...

I was convicted of a class h felony for forgery uttering in Wisconsin 13 years ago. I now live in Minnesota and was wondering if I could hunt with a rifle/

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

It happened in Wisconsin but I now live in Minnesota. I was about 20 when it happened and I am 35 now. I opened a bank account with a business check that wasn't mine.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I did not complete probation. I only lasted a week before I got caught drinking and was sentenced to 4 years in prison.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/12/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 9 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

ok thank you

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how old a felony conviction is, whether it's violent or non-violent or whether you served any time in prison. If you have been convicted of a crime for which the maximum possible sentence is greater than one year, you lose your state and Federal gun rights.

If Wisconsin took your rights away from you, it's Wisconsin that would have to give them back. Unfortunately, however, Wisconsin only will restore your gun rights with a pardon from your governor. Pardons are hard to get, but they are presently impossible in Wisconsin. Governors can choose how broadly they wish to use their pardon power. Your governor has determined that during his term of office, he will grant no pardons whatsoever, and he is adhering to that policy.

So for now, there's no possibility you can get your gun rights back until your present administration changes. Then you'd have to apply for a pardon. If you are successful, the Federal government would lift its bar to your rights as well, and you'd be able to own a firearm in Minnesota and other states. But until they, there's nothing you can do but wait.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

now I have heard that Minnesota will allow you to use a shotgun or rifle as long as its not a pistol or an assult type weapon. as long as you are no longer on probation. since Wisconsin isn't allow me to try and restore those rights aren't they inhibiting my persuit of happiness?

It doesn't matter what Minnesota will do for former felony offenders who were convicted of crimes in Minnesota. You were convicted in Wisconsin, and every state is different. Only the state that took away your rights can give them back.

I agree that your governor's policy on pardons is a harsh one. Apparently, he feels strongly that the state's criminal convictions should stick to an offender. Your state's residents reelected him, so they apparently agree with him. Yes, they are inhibiting your pursuit of happiness, but the governor feels he's inhibiting crime as well and finds that more important. States can do that, unfortunately. We may all have rights, but the state can control if and when we can exercise them.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.