Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a 26 years old. I met a girl on social media who said…

Customer Question
I am a 26...

I am a 26 years old. I met a girl on social media who said she was 19 but later on the texts she said she was turning 17 this december. She initiated the conversation and started sending her nudes. I send my nude once. Can they legally charge me with anything ?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

She said she was in vermont. But her parents are in south Carolina. They are the ones threatening me now. They threatened me to pay for a broken laptop and i paid the amount. Now they want me to pay for half of her counseling.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats all

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/12/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 11 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If once you learned she was a minor you terminated all contact, then you didn't do anything wrong. If let her send you nude photos and sent one back to her after she told you that she was under age, then yes, theoretically you could be charged with a sex offense.

BUT , you actually don't have anything to worry about this time, and you can take this whole incident as a life lesson. You are simply the victim of a very well-known scam we see a lot of these days. It is known as a sextortion scam, that's short for sexual extortion.

Here's how it works:

You have been set up to chat with someone who deliberately turned the tables on you in order to blackmail you.

Unscrupulous people hover around on chat rooms and dating sites, and they lure in their victims by assuring them that they are of age but then engaging them in sexual chat and/or exchanging explicit pictures. Then, at some point later on, the target of the scam gets a phone call from a supposedly angry family member. But what that so-called person wants is money or he claims he'll prosecute.

This is not the normal reaction of a family member when a child has really been violated.

This is simply a blackmail scam, and one should NEVER give into that.

You need to block all contact with the so-called minor, his so called father, and send no money. None of them is really who and what they say they are. You are dealing with thieves.

You should never give in to an extortion request. If you pay them, you'll have to keep paying them for the rest of your life. They only have power over you if you give in to them. If you don't, they lose their advantage.

In these scams, there really isn't any minor at all. It's all just a way to intimidate you to get money. If you simply disappear, the scammers go away and move on to someone else, because it's not about reporting you but only about money.

The scammer can't really report this without producing a minor and swearing out a complaint with the real police, which means identifying themselves and leaving them open to a blackmail charge. Scammers won't do that.

And here's something very important:

As many times as we get a question like yours, we have yet to hear of a so-called family member who asked for money and who actually pressed charges. After all, the minor would be guilty of a crime as well, if she were real, and she entrapped you by claiming on the site to be over 18.

So, to recap -- the chances are 100% that there's no real minor here and no real parent.

It is not normal for a parent in this situation to be asking for money for any reason at all. An actual angry parent would simply have simply gotten charges pressed.

It is all a fraud!! And you can google "sextortion blackmail scam" and see just how popular this is. Block them, send no money and move on.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.