Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was pulled over for speeding this Saturday night. I was…

Customer Question
I was pulled over...

I was pulled over for speeding this Saturday night. I was tested for a DUI and blew under .08 three times. He kept me till a friend could pick me up, impounded my car. Never told me I was under all three times till I left hours later. Never told me where to get my car, no number, nothing. NO prior offenses. What are my options

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

MN 2009

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I dont know. How would I know that

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/12/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Did you receive a notice to appear in court, or did you receive a citation for speeding?

This would serve as your notice for whether something was filed against you.

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Since you were clearly not driving under the influence, then there should not be any DUI charges being filed against you.

If you were registered on the police radar gun as speeding, then a speeding ticket should have been issued to you. This is just a fine and does not carry any criminal penalties.

To find out about your car, you'll want to phone the police station where you were held, and ask for the number to their impound lot.

Then you'll need to phone the impound lot, and they can give you the information on where to go to pick up your car, how much it will cost, etc. There is a fee per day for your car being in the police impound lot, so the sooner you call, the better.

I do want to let you know that it sounds as though the officer was not acting within the purview of proper criminal procedure. For this reason, I would also recommend contacting the Internal Affairs Bureau in your jurisdiction and filing a report.

You can let you know:

(1.) The officer detained you, even though you blew under the limit.

(2.) The officer kept re-testing your BAC several time, even though you were under the limit.

(3.) Your car was impounded, even though you were under the legal limit.

(4.) You were never given any information as to the location of your car or instructions on how to retrieve it.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!