Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was scammed out of 25,000 by a romance scammer calling…

Customer Question
I was scammed out of...
I was scammed out of 25,000 by a romance scammer calling himself Scott Daniel. I've done the research and all three email addresses he used have the same IP address. He used a fake UN gmail address. He says he's a doctor working with the UN and he's in Somolia. Is it a federal offense to use a fake UN gmail? And what's the likelihood of being able to catch this scumbag and get my money back?Thank you so much.Christine Mosley
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/12/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Christine. I am going to be honest. Yes, it is illegal to do what he did - under US law, and likely wherever he "really" is (which is likely somewhere in Ghana or Nigeria). However, US has no control outside of its borders. Chances of finding this scammer are slim to none, because:

1) They usually cover their tracks very well, and

2) Even you could trace him to the country where he is, local authorities are often unwilling/unable to prosecute him and are likely to be bought off due to corruption.

You need to file a complaint with IC3 immediately so the complaint would go to the FBI. They will try to see if he can be located and money found, but frankly, this is unlikely.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law