How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3471
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about bonding on a failure to appear

Customer Question

I have a question about bonding on a failure to appear charge, stemming from a public intoxication charge. My friend was arrested on the PI charge and then when the court date came around, he was incarcerated in another county. So they got him on an FTA. I just need to know what to expect as far as how much to bond him out on these charges.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: We are in East TN and he was arrested over July Fourth weekend on the PI. He has been released today from the county where he has been incarcerated since then.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not for this...I've been in contact with his lawyer in the other county.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of...I really just need to know what to expect as far as monetarily.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.
By continuing, you acknowledge that I am not providing legal advice and can only comment on the law in general.

A typical bond for FTA is between 2500 and 5000, but it varies everywhere. Also, because he was locked up when he missed his court date, that FTA charge should be dismissed. I'd speak to a local criminal lawyer about getting the FTA charge dismissed before wasting your money on bail.

I hope this helps! If you want to speak to me personally, you can request a phone coversation to follow up.


If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.