Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Dating someone who is listed on the sex offender registry

Customer Question

Dating someone who is listed on the sex offender registry and trying to figure out if this is worth petitioning to get him name removed. We would like to better our future and this is having an effect on doing so.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: WI His conviction was almost 13 years ago. He was "young and dumb." Partying at the age of 19 where alcohol was involved. The female was 17-18 at the time. Accused him of sexually assaulting him which caused him to be charged and lifetime sex offender registry. He has not had any other sexual convictions which. And has been off supervision for a long long time. Just has to apply to the sex offender registry compliance updates. Honestly with some things ive read online, im trying to decide if this is something we should petition or not. And how it will really effect my future.
His conviction was almost 13 years ago. He was "young and dumb." Partying at the age of 19 where alcohol was involved. The female was 17-18 at the time. Accused him of sexually assaulting him which caused him to be charged and lifetime sex offender registry. He has not had any other sexual convictions which. And has been off supervision for a long long time. Just has to apply to the sex offender registry compliance updates. Honestly with some things ive read online, im trying to decide if this is something we should petition or not. And how it will really effect my future.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No we have not, they want 5000 just for advise
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont think so. Just trying to figure out if this is worth petitioning or not.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Van replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I can assist you, please tell me what state he received his conviction in.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wisconsin
Expert:  Van replied 1 month ago.

Please allow me a few minutes to respond now that I know what state you are in.

Expert:  Van replied 1 month ago.

What was the exact crime that your friend was convicted of in Wisconsin?

Expert:  Van replied 1 month ago.

So after doing a little research on sex offender registry laws in Wisconsin, whether or not your friend can stop registering as a sex offender depends on several variables. In order to tell you whether you should consider paying an attorney to start the process, I will need the additional information requested.

Expert:  Van replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am just following up with you to see if you still need some advice. Please let me know if I can help you. Please provide the additional information requested above and I will try my best to help you.