Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son has to appear in court on a misdemeanor. doesn't have…

Hi, my son has...

Hi, my son has to appear in court on a misdemeanor. doesn't have any record and I guess did not move when the police asked him to. we bailed him and he has to appear in court 9/26. Should he have a lawyer with him? We do not live in the state

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

This happened in san diego last month.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

9/11/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Criminal cases can have lifetime repercussions. So even when the crime is only a misdemeanor, that can still hurt your son both personally and professionally if it's handled incorrectly. A lawyer will be able to inform your son of the strengths and weaknesses of his case and go over all strategies and options so that he can make an informed decision as to how to go forward with his case.

Nobody else will protect his rights and explain the up and down sides of his possible choices if he doesn't have a lawyer. The judge and the prosecutor have very different agendas from your son. Without a lawyer, your son might jump at what he may think is a good deal and not know that he could have done even better.

Yes, he should have a lawyer.

Zoey_ JD
can you give me any suggestions for attorneys?

Unfortunately, per the terms of service of this website, legal experts are not allowed to make direct referrals to specific lawyers or law firms. What I can do, however, is to direct you to the same services that lawyers themselves use when they need to find a lawyer in a particular field or state and don't know of one so that you can find a criminal lawyer who can handle your son's misdemeanor.

One such source would be the California Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge around $50 for the referral and that fee includes a free half hour appointment with a lawyer. He can even have the appointment over the phone so as not to have to come back to California just to talk to the lawyer.

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=CA

To get still a wider range of possibilities, you can also check out a commercial lawyer referral service. There are many of them, but one that has been around a long time and which is highly regarded is www.Martindale.com.

Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client-rated, which you might find helpful to narrow down your choices.

Good luck to your son!