ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I'm in Georgia. Can you answer a question about getting

Customer Question

Hi I'm in Georgia. Can you answer a question about getting caught switching tags at walmart?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I switched a $25 tag on a jacket for $7. Got caught. They filled out paperwork and said I'd be in their database. Did not call police. Can they file charges after the fact?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Georgia, today
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, it's possible that they could press charges (it's the prosecutor that "files charges"). But if they don't do it then, it's unlikely that they do it later. Generally they want the police to come by and charge you right away. The fact is that this is attempted petty theft. An attempted crime is charged at a lesser amount than the actual crime itself, so in other words it'd be "petty petty theft". The point is that they probably feel that pressing charges (where they'd have to complete paperwork, go to court to testify, etc... ) wouldn't be worth the effort given the small nature, and rather the threat of going after you would be more persuasive.

So frankly I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.