Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I was arrested for dwi but was only convicted of a civil

Customer Question

I was arrested for dwi but was only convicted of a civil penalty in the state of New York
Does the arrest show on my record?
I applied for NYC corrections and received a pre employment background check. It asks if I was ever arrested. That is why I am asking
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is yes, the arrest will show on your record. All arrests, even if they do not lead to a conviction, will show up as a public record. Many times, people are arrested for something and the district attorney decides not to pursue the case. Thus, no convictions will show on their record, but the arrest will show up on their record. I know this from personal experience because I have been arrested once (20 years ago), but had my record expunged. I learned later that the conviction itself was expunged, but the arrest shows up.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.