Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

One of my friend who is an international student was charged

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: One of my friend who is an international student was charged under lar2359f9
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: many question regarding what to do next and what will be circumstances
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please reply in text
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please some one respond
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

This is a theft offense -- Grand larceny -- and it is a felony because the amount allegedly stolen was over $200. What did you want to ask about this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what happens if my friend did for first time
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Typically, on a first offense, if your friend wanted to take a plea to the charge, he would likely be able to get probation. He'd also be expected to pay back the complainant for the property or money he stole. What was the value of the item or money taken?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Clothes worth $1100 from lord & tailor shop at mall
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One of his friend is going to india our home country. so, he shopped few items and out conscious he took items from store and kept in his purchased bag. he is an internal student how would be consequences if he find guilty...
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

He doesn't want to be found guilty of a felony theft offense. It would cause him to fall out of status as it is a crime of moral turpitude. He needs a criminal lawyer and he should also talk to an Immigration lawyer. If convicted of this felony, he would be deportable.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.