Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am trying to find out how the passage of SB 620 will

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find out how the passage of SB 620 will impact my son's sentence. Nearly 20 years ago, at age 18, he was convicted of robbery while in possession of a gun. He was sentenced to 17 years plus 10 years under the gun enhancement. We are anxious to find out how this will affect him. He is at the Institute for men, Chino, CA. He is level 1 or 2. Any answers or resources to can steer me to would be very much appreciated by both of us.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. His lawyer passed away..Can you make a suggestion?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/9/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

SB 620 has not yet been signed into law. But if it does pass in its current form, it would give a judge the discretion to dismiss the gun enhancement in the interest of justice and thus shorten the sentence for gun offenders. Your son would be able to file a motion to have his enhancement reconsidered by the court and removed in the interest of justice.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD