Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can a misdemeanor harassment conviction be sealed, It is in

Can a misdemeanor harassment conviction...
Can a misdemeanor harassment conviction be sealed
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: It is in Colorado, more info like what?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No starting the process, it happened 6 years ago, probation, classes and fines were completed successfully.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was in my early 20's not quite 21, involved with a man 10 years older who was on parole. Not a very wise decision on my part. An incident broke out and I called police because I was afraid, then covered for him because of his situation. Now it has come back to affect me in my opportunity to advance in my employment.
9/8/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes. If this took place 10 years ago, you'd be eligible to seal your conviction in Colorado. Colorado allows for the sealing of petty misdemeanors after 3 years, (class 2 or class 3 misdemeanors). You can seal a Class 1 misdemeanor after 5 years from the completion of the case. Either way, you've completed the waiting period and can this done.

This was a first time offense but I'm not sure what class misdemeanor it is. I didn't quite understand your response, can you explain again please? One other thing I don't know if this makes a difference or not the person I was involved with is no longer alive, does that matter or not?
No not at this time, I'm a single mom and can't afford the call, but thanks for the opportunity.
I'm still waiting for a response.
Van
Van, Retired Judge

Hi my name is ***** ***** I think I can assist you with this matter, but I need a little more information. What was the exact charge that you were convicted of years ago in Colorado?

Thank you for responding. I pleaded guilty to harassment charges.

Please give me a few and I will respond shortly.

So my colleague who responded to you earlier is correct you can have your record sealed in Colorado.

Record seals are not available to everyone under Colorado law. Offenses that may be sealed include (1) drug crimes, (2) petty offenses, (3) municipal violations, (4) underage alcohol and marijuana offenses, (5) underage drinking and driving (UDD), and (6) juvenile offenses.

The record sealing process in Colorado typically involves obtaining copies of past police reports, filing a petition with the court, and paying a filing fee. If the court grants a record seal, the person can legally deny ever having been arrested or convicted of a crime (with rare exception).

Your prior conviction falls under the type of cases that can be sealed. I suggest that you go down to the clerk's office at the courthouse in your city/town and someone will provide you with the necessary documents. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you for the information.

If you are satisfied with my response please don't forget to give me a positive rating. Have a great day!

Van
Van, Retired Judge
Van
Van
Van, Retired Judge